Skip directly to content

Lawsuit Against LANL And Former Emergency Operations Manager Tony Stanford Is Settled

on September 15, 2014 - 11:30pm
Anthony 'Tony' Stanford
Los Alamos Daily Post

Attorney John Day told the Los Alamos Daily Post this evening that the suit he filed in First District Court last December on behalf of Erika and William Gorman against Los Alamos National Security, LLC, Los Alamos National Laboratory and Anthony "Tony" R. Stanford has been settled.

"We've reached an agreement and dropped the lawsuit," Day said. "The parties agreed not to discuss the terms of the settlement but I can tell you that the Gormans are extremely happy and very satisfied that it's over."

A LANL spokesperson stated the Lab is satisfied as well, according to reports.

Stanford, 57, was in charge of LANL's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) on West Jemez Road where the Gormans worked. After reporting incidents of sexual harassment to a superior to no avail, the couple contacted Day, of EGOLF, FERLIC & DAY, LLC in Santa Fe. Day filed the suit in December on behalf of his clients for assault, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent hiring, supervision and retention.

In January, Erika Gorman reported Stanford to Los Alamos police detectives. She stated at the time that Stanford behaved inappropriately toward her on several occasions including in an elevator Nov. 28, 2012 at the EOC. She also stated that Stanford made inappropriate comments and exhibited inappropriate behavior in his office at the EOC and while riding together in LANL vehicles to meetings.

Police launched an investigation into the allegations and in February filed charges against Stanford for battery and assault. Stanford had worked at the Lab for some 20 years and retired earlier this year and left the state, according to reports.

Day said his clients are glad to close out this difficult chapter and move on.

"The Gormans are still working at the Lab and Mr. Stanford is not ... they love the work they do and are pleased this episode is over and look forward to getting on with their lives."