DOE Awards Co-op Agreement To New Mexico Energy, Confederated Tribes Of Umatilla Indian Reservation
CARLSBAD -- The Department of Energy’s Carlsbad Field Office Monday awarded a $375,000, five-year cooperative agreement to the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation in Pendleton, Ore. for the coordination of activities to ensure the safe transportation of transuranic waste to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP).
Activities under the cooperative agreement focus on technical assistance to be provided through training and exercises for the Indian Nation to prepare emergency responders and emergency management for the continued assurance of safe transportation of radioactive waste through the Pueblo lands.
These activities include:
- Transportation monitoring;
- Transportation emergency response planning;
- Transportation emergency response training and exercises;
- Transportation emergency response equipment and supplies; and
- Public participation in WIPP Transportation Safety Program activities.